In response to pressure from settlers of the up country, South Carolina passed its first circuit court act in 1769 (Judicial Act of 1769). The position of Solicitor was not created, however, until 1791, when legislation authorized three solicitors to assist and carry out the duties of the Attorney General in the districts for which they were elected (1791, Act 1526). The Attorney General was given responsibility for a fourth district which included Charleston. Although district boundaries changed over the next 77 years, the Attorney General remained the prosecuting official for the circuit which constituted or included Charleston. A reorganization of the circuit courts and districts occurred with the adoption of the Constitution of 1868. The Constitution established one Solicitor (popularly elected for a four year term) for each circuit (Article IV, Section 29, 1868 Constitution). Legislation passed the same year established eight judicial districts with Charleston and Orangeburg counties forming the First Judicial District (1868, Act 6). The Ninth Judicial District was established in 1905 when the circuit court system again was reorganized. The new district consisted of Beaufort, Charleston and Colleton Counties (1905, Act 428). Seven years later the newly created County of Jasper was added to the Ninth District (1912, Act 459). The number of judicial districts again increased in 1916. Under the new plan, the Ninth District consisted of only Charleston County (1916, Act 377). Berkeley County was temporarily shifted from the First Judicial District to the Ninth in 1926 (1926, Act 586). It was shifted back the following year (1927, Act 36). On February 11, 1931 Berkeley was again incorporated into the Ninth Judicial District where it remains today (1931, Act 41). On August 3, 2007, the South Carolina State Senate confirmed Governor Sanford's appointment and Scarlett A. Wilson became the first woman to hold the office of Solicitor for the Ninth Judicial Circuit.